Become a Certified Diabetes Outpatient Educator - Enroll in the 2019 CDOE Certification Course today!
Tuesday, March 12, 2019 8:30 am - 4:00 pm (6.0 Contact Hours)
Pathophysiology and Acute Complications of Diabetes
Prevention of Chronic Complications of Diabetes
Basic Nutrition Principles for Diabetes Management
Tuesday, March 26, 2019 8:30 am-5:00 pm (7.0 Contact Hours)
Pharmacotherapeutic Management of Diabetes Mellitus
Advanced Nutrition Principles for Diabetes: Meal Planning and Carbohydrate Counting
Health Literacy and Diabetes
Tuesday, April 9, 2019 8:30am - 5:00pm (6.75 Contact Hours)
Diabetes in the Pediatric Patient & Insulin Pumps
Pattern Management Made Easy
Physical Activity and Diabetes
Special Considerations for Diabetes Management
Patient Assessment and Principles of Adult Education
Tuesday, April 23, 2019 8:30am - 4:30 pm (6.5 Contact Hours)
Motivational Interviewing and Behavioral Change
Diabetes and Depression
Practical Applications of Diabetes Management
Question and Answer Session
Exam: Tuesday, May 7, 2018 9 am - 12 pm
Qualifications to Become a CDOE:
- CDOE Candidates must have a minimum of three (3) years experience as a registered nurse, dietitian, and/or pharmacist (RN, RD, or RPh) or may petition the Credentialing Committee in collaboration with the Executive CDOE Committee for review.
- CDOE candidates must be licensed in Rhode Island as a RN, RD or RPh.
- CDOE candidates must have twelve (12) hours of diabetes experience within the last two (2) years either as part of your usual employment or via participation in volunteer work, diabetes support groups, health fairs, screenings, etc.
CDOE Certification Process:
Candidates must successfully complete the CDOE certification process, including:
- Attend all 4 sessions of the CDOE Certification Course
- Pass the CDOE exam
Pass the teaching component in one of three (3) ways:
- Attend a group class and teach a topic associated with the candidate’s profession (i.e. nursing, nutrition, or pharmacology).
- Work with a mentor in the candidate’s discipline to observe and perform a one-on-one counseling session.
- Participate in a live case study presentation with a current CDOE from the candidate’s discipline.
- Teaching component must be completed within 9 months of passing the CDOE exam
New this year: Individuals may attend the course for continuing education without seeking certification, see table below for registration rates.
| Registration Type
||Current CDOEs *
| CDOE Certification Course & Exam
| All 4 Sessions for CE Credit ONLY
| Single-day registration for CE Credit ONLY
*Current CDOEs must be logged into CDOE website to register at the CDOE rates
||Hours of CE
||CE for Nurses and Dietitians
||CE for Pharmacists
|Tues, March 12, 2019
|Tues, March 26, 2019
|Tues, April 9, 2019
|Tues, April 23, 2019
|Tues, May 7, 2019