Become a Certified Diabetes Outpatient Educator - Enroll in the 2017 CDOE Certification Course today!
Tuesday, January 31, 2017 8:30 am - 5:30 pm
Pathophysiology and Acute Complications of Diabetes
Prevention of Chronic Complications of Diabetes
Basic Nutrition Principles for Diabetes Management
Health Literacy and Diabetes
Tuesday, February 14, 2017 8:30 - 4:15 pm
Pharmacotherapeutic Management of Diabetes Mellitus
Advanced Nutrition Principles for Diabetes: Meal Planning and Carbohydrate Counting
Physical Activity and Diabetes
Tuesday, February 28, 2017 8:30 - 4:30
Pattern Management Made Easy
Special Considerations for Diabetes Management
Diabetes in the Pediatric Patient & Insulin Pumps
Patient Assessment and Principles of Adult Education
Tuesday, March 14, 2017 8:30 - 4:30 pm
Motivational Interviewing and Behavioral Change
Diabetes and Depression
Practical Applications of Diabetes Management
Question and Answer Session
Exam: Tuesday March 28 9 am - 12 pm
Qualifications to Become a CDOE:
- CDOE Candidates must have a minimum of three (3) years experience as a registered nurse, dietitian, and/or pharmacist (RN, RD, or RPh) or may petition the Credentialing Committee in collaboration with the Executive CDOE Committee for review.
- CDOE candidates must be licensed in Rhode Island as a RN, RD or RPh.
- CDOE candidates must have twelve (12) hours of diabetes experience within the last two (2) years either as part of your usual employment or via participation in volunteer work, diabetes support groups, health fairs, screenings, etc.
CDOE Certification Process:
Candidates must successfully complete the CDOE certification process, including:
- Attend all 4 sessions of the CDOE Certification Course
- Pass the CDOE exam
Pass the teaching component in one of three (3) ways:
- Attend a group class and teach a topic associated with the candidate’s profession (i.e. nursing, nutrition, or pharmacology).
- Work with a mentor in the candidate’s discipline to observe and perform a one-on-one counseling session.
- Participate in a live case study presentation with a current CDOE from the candidate’s discipline.
- Teaching component must be completed within 9 months of passing the CDOE exam